The Church yard at Fodderty, still used for burials, contains the site of the old church, which was in use up until the end of the 18th century. In 1807 a new church was built, on the site now known as Kilvannie, and closer to the old manse, at Beechwood.
From this time on, the Victorian Spa resort at Strathpeffer was being developed, and the “centre” of the parish was moving from the
old rural heart at Fodderty, to the western extremity of what was then known as Fodderty parish. Consequently, by 1901, the congregation
were making overtures to the Church of Scotland, to build a new church in Strathpeffer. In March 1902 the congregation “transported”
to the new church at the west end of Strathpeffer. The old church at Kilvannie has been a dwelling house since about 1904.
In 1843 the Church of Scotland split almost equally in two, over several issues, the main one being “Patronage” (where the local Laird “presented” a minister to the congregation) Many felt that congregations should be free to “call” their own minister. The resultant breakaway Church became the Free Church. Some congregations together with their minister “came out”, while elsewhere there was division.
Fodderty Parish Church was clearly divided, since sufficient members stayed with the “Old Kirk” to make a viable congregation for a new minister, but Mr Noble “came out”.
The minister from Contin did not “come out” but many members did, and so Mr Noble became the first minister of Fodderty & Contin Free
Church, and a church and manse was built on the boundary of the parishes, at Jamestown.